- Before your visit: Shower using fragrance-free soap (without moisturizer) and exfoliate (to slough away dead skin), when you’re planning to visit the tanning salon. This provides for a long-lasting, even suntan.
- Check our medication list or talk to your doctor: Some medications increase your skin’s photosensitivity.
- Use one of our pre-tan accelerator lotions: To maximize your tan, we offer specialized skin care products to extend the life of your tan.
- Tan smart for your skin type: Achieving a dark, even skin tone means something different to every person. Our staff can advise you and help you build your tan comfortably, to achieve the attractive skin tone that works for you.
- Choose a tanning bed type: Our basic tanning bed is a great place to start. If you want a faster bed for quicker tanning in fewer sessions, we can advise you. Don’t worry, we’ll guide you and set proper UV intensity settings for your needs and skin type.
- Be sure to goggle up: Essential tanning goggles to protect your eyes are free with membership and we always have some at the front desk available for use or purchase.
- Wear what you like: Tan in your shorts, bikini, underwear, or tan nude – it’s your choice in your private tanning booth.
- Relax on the clean, acrylic surface of your tanning bed: When ready, simply pull down the cover (lid) of the bed, so it sits just above your body–and press the button next to you, to begin tanning. A few minutes later, you’re done!
Tanning bed tips for beginners
Protect yourself with The Tannie!
Self Tanning mousse
Do you love being tan but can't make it in to tan often or come in for a spray tan? There is another way to get a great tan. The best way to apply this mouse is using these gloves or a soft sponge. Make sure that you apply it evenly all over (not as hard as that sounds, just make sure there is no lines that need to be rubbed in) and wash your hands when you get done. This is the same brand I use when I do spray tans. So it gives you a great color, unlike all the ones that turn you orange. If you know someone that uses self tanners you might share with them. Also, its great to use while you are building up your tan in the beds. You'll love it.
moisturizing helps you tan faster
Tanning lotion and moisturizers = Dark tans faster
What do tanning lotions have to do with brushing your teeth?
Nothing, except using tanning lotions for tanning is like using toothpaste for brushing your teeth. Without it, tanning is pointless.
Not all tanning lotions are created equal. So how does one choose the right lotion? Tanning lotions should be chosen based on one’s skin type and the desired goal. Indoor tanning lotions are generally broken up into the following categories. Please note, however, they can be mixed together to obtain that perfect bronzed glow!
The top three types of tanning lotions:
1. ACCELERATOR/INTENSIFIERS: These indoor tanning lotions are great for a beginning tanner with exceptionally pale or sensitive skin. Many of these have great anti-aging elements in them like CoQ-10. These lotions contain no DHA, no added color, and contain tyrosine and peptides to make the melanin rise in your skin.
2. BRONZER: These are by far the most popular tanning lotions on the market. UV rays activate the DHA these lotions contain. This lotion will keep tanning you up to 12 hours after a tanning session.
3. NATURAL BRONZER: This lotion contains added color to give immediate color. They will NOT continue to intensify the tan after the tanning session. They won’t streak.
Other types of tanning lotions:
4. TINGLE: This type of lotion will get you the darkest the fastest. Melanin rises the quickest with this type of lotion. This indoor lotion will stimulate your skin, causing it to redden and become irriatated. This effect can last for hours and result in an itchy feeling. If you have small children, these lotions can rub off on their skin with the same effects, so make sure you rinse off before touching them. Combine them with a good bronzer to ensure a beautiful, dark tan in no time.
5. FACIAL TANNERS: The skin on your face is thinner and more sensitive than the rest of your body and since fat tans faster, it is important to use a facial tanner to get the most complete tan. These lotions or non-comodegenic, not as harsh, and help prevent wrinkling.
What is your favorite tanning lotion that you are currently using? I just recently started using Ed Hardy Black Elixir and I am really diggin it. Here is the benefits of this one specifically:
Hey! Glad you are checking out our blog page. My parents own the tanning salon and I do spray tans there. Among some other stuff. :)